Click here for Somavert® (pegvisomant) Prescribing Information. Adverse event reporting information can be found at the bottom of the page.
Somavert is used in the treatment of adult patients with acromegaly who have had an inadequate response to surgery and/or radiation therapy and in whom an appropriate medical treatment with somatostatin analogues did not normalise IGF-I concentrations or was not tolerated.
Somavert works on cell surfaces around the body, directly targeting and blocking growth hormone receptors to inhibit IGF-I production with a high predictibility1-3
Somavert’s tumour-independent mechanism of action may explain how it can achieve IGF-I normalisation notes of up to 97% when appropriately titrated (n=90, p<0.05)3
Patients on Somavert report significant reductions versus baseline in soft tissue swelling, headache, joint pain and general physical condition, and total signs and symptoms score‡1,5
Professor AJ van der Lely. Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, Netherlands, explains the vital role of IGF-I, the liver and insulin production in acromeagly and its treatment
To find out more about ACRODAT, supporting your patients or to order starter kits
Learn about the Somavert safety profile from clinical and real world data
1. Somavert Summary of Product Characteristics. Available here
2. Sherlock M, et al. Medical therapy in acromegaly. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2011;7:291–300.
3. Van der Lely AJ, et al. Long-term treatment of acromegaly with pegvisomant, a growth hormone receptor antagonist. Lancet 2001;24;358(9295):1754–9.
4. Trainer PJ, et al. Treatment of acromegaly with the growth hormone-receptor antagonist pegvisomant. N Engl J Med 2000;342(16):1171–7.
5. Schreiber I, et al. Treatment of acromegaly with the GH receptor antagonist pegvisomant in clinical practice: Safety and efficacy evaluation from the German Pegvisomant Observational Study. Eur J Endocrinol 2007;156:75–82.
These pages are not intended for patients or for members of the general public. The healthcare professional web pages contain promotional content.
I confirm that I am a healthcare professional* resident in the United Kingdom.
If you select 'No', you will be redirected to Pfizer.co.uk where you will be able to access reference information on Pfizer's prescription medicines.
*The ABPI Code definition for healthcare professional is members of the medical, dental, pharmacy and nursing professionals and any other persons who in the course of their professional activities may administer, prescribe, purchase, recommend or supply a medicine.
PP-PFE-GBR-2688. December 2020