Nimenrix for Travel
Nimenrix is indicated for active immunisation of individuals from the age of 6 weeks against invasive meningococcal disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A, C, W135 and Y1
When people travelling are at risk of meningococcal ACW135Y disease, help protect them with Nimenrix1,2
Meningococcal ACW135Y vaccination is a visa entry requirement for Hajj and Umrah pilgrims3
All people travelling to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for Hajj or Umrah (including seasonal workers) require proof of meningococcal ACW135Y vaccination for entry3
In 2017 over 25,000 British nationals performed Hajj and around 100,000 the pilgrimage of Umrah4
Meningococcal ACW135Y vaccination is recommended for some people travelling to the ‘meningitis belt’ of sub-Saharan Africa.2
Outbreaks of meningococcal meningitis in the meningitis belt can reach epidemic proportions during the dry season (December to June).2
People at increased risk of meningococcal meningitis are long-stay travellers likely to have close contact with the local population, such as:2
• People visiting friends and relatives
• Aid or health workers
Why choose Nimenrix for meningococcal ACW135Y vaccination?
- Uses conjugate technology to enhance the immune reponse against meningococcal polysaccharides1,7
- Can be used to help protect a broad age range of people travelling1,8
- Licensed to help protect those aged 6 weeks and above1
- Immunogenicity data available for the licensed age range including in those aged >65years1
- Tolerability profile investigated in those aged up to 103 years8
- Dosing and Administration
- One 0.5ml dose* administered via intramuscular injection1
- Supplied with the solvent in a pre-filled syringe and colour-coded needles9
- Certified Halal by Halal Food Council of Europe10
*Note, infants from 6 weeks to less than 6 months of age: two doses, each of 0.5 ml, should be administered with an interval of 2 months between doses. A booster dose should be given at 12 months of age with an interval of at least 2 months after the last Nimenrix vaccination.
See the Nimenrix Summary of Product Characteristics for further details on dosage.
- Nimenrix. Summary of Product Characteristics, United Kingdom, Pfizer Ltd. Available here
- TravelHealthPro. Meningococcal Disease fact sheet. Available at: https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/factsheet/42/meningococcal-disease. Last Accessed June 2020.
- Travel Health Pro. Hajj and Umrah. Available at https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/factsheet/19/hajj-and-umrah. Last accessed June 2020.
- The Council of British Hajjis UK (CBHUK). Hajj Debrief calls on the industry to join forces in serving British pilgrims. http://cbhuk.org/news/cbhuk-news/hajj-debrief-calls-industry-unite-serve-british-pilgrims. Last Accessed June 2020.
- Pulse. Travel Medicine Guide (Updated March 2020).
- Africa Region’s Finance and Private Sector Development Department (AFTFP). Sub Saharan Africa Tourism Industry Research. Final Report 2009 Prepared by Dr. L Twinning-Ward, for World Bank, Washington DC.
- Public Health England. The Green Book, chapter 1: Immunity and how vaccines work. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/144249/Green-Book-Chapter-1.pdf. Last Accessed June 2020.
- Dbaibo G, et al. Immunogenicity and safety of a quadrivalent meningococcal serogroups A, C, W-135 and Y tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine (MenACWY-TT) administered to adults aged 56 years and older: results of an open-label, randomized, controlled trial. Drugs Aging 2013;30:309–319.
- Pfizer Data on File, November 2018.
- Pfizer Data on File, November 2016.