Sayana® Press overview
Product Information and a link to the SPC is available at the bottom of this page.
Sayana® Press delivers precise dosing via a smart, single dose device and has proven efficacy.1,2,3
- Smart device – uses innovative Uniject™ Technology.1
- Easy-to-follow injection instructions – 23 gauge needle attached for subcutaneous injection, no specialised training for HCPs.1,2
- Administration options – HCP administration in clinic or self-administration by women, when considered appropriate by HCP.2*
Guide to self-administrating Sayana® Press
99% effective in preventing pregnancy if used according to the product recommendations of every 13 weeks (+/-7 days)4.
Two open-label, multi-national, multi-centre, Phase III, 1-year trials were undertaken in order to assess the efficacy and safety of DMPA subcutaneous (DMPA-SC injection)4.
Conducted at 36 sites and involved 722 women in the ITT (Intent-To-Treat) population.
Conducted at 64 sites (including UK sites) and involved 1065 women in the ITT populations.
- A substantial number of overweight or obese women (>26%) took part in the trials. Efficacy was unaffected by body weight and so no dosage adjustments for body weight are required.4
- No pregnancies were observed at 1-year across 16,023 woman-cycles of exposure with DMPA-SC.4
- DMPA-SC was found to be an effective and generally well-tolerated method of contraception with comparable efficacy to DMPA-IM.4
Sayana® Press delivers an immediate† 13 weeks of contraception.2††
*Self-administration should be first performed under the supervision of an HCP following training of the woman in proper injection technique and schedule of administration.
†Providing the first injection is given during the first five days of a normal menstrual cycle and subsequent injections are given no later than thirteen weeks and seven days after the previous injection.
††Sayana® Press does not protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
1. PATH website: Uniject. Last accessed November 2017.
2. Sayana® Press Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at:
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/27798/SPC/SAYANA+PRESS+104+mg+0.65+ml+suspension+for+injection/ Last accessed February 2019.
3. Public Assessment Report. Mutual Recognition Procedure. Sayana® Press 104 mg/0.65 ml suspension for injection.
PL 000057/1093; UK/H/0960/002/DC. Available at:
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con126147.pdf Last accessed May 2018.
4. Jain J, et al. Contraceptive efficacy and safety of DMPA-SC. Contraception 2004;70:269-275.