Introducing ZAVICEFTA: A combination of ceftazidime and avibactam1
Avibactam is a novel β-lactamase inhibitor combined with
ceftazidime, a cephalosporin with established clinical experience2
- A reversible, non-β-lactam β-lactamase inhibitor3
- A covalent, slowly reversible inhibitor – a unique mechanism of
inhibition among β-lactamase inhibitors3
Structure of avibactam3
ZAVICEFTA: Potent inhibitory activity against difficult-to-treat
infections due to aerobic Gram-negative bacteria1,2
Avibactam inhibits both Ambler class A and class C β-lactamases and some class D enzymes, including:1*
- OXA-48 carbaenemases
- AmpC enzymes
ZAVICEFTA is effective against infections with Enterbacteriaceae and P. aeruginosa with EUCAST minimum inhibitory concentrations as follows:1
*Avibactam does not inhibit class B enzymes (metallo-β-lactamases) and is not able to inhibit many class D enzymes.1
ZAVICEFTA: A novel combination of ceftazidime and avibactam1
For the treatment of patients with suspected or documented Enterobacteriaceae and P. aeruginosa infection with resistance including to ESBLs, KPC & OXA-48 carbapenemases and AmpC enzymes.
Ceftazidime: Third-generation antipseudomonal cephalosporin4
• Inhibits bacterial peptidoglycan cell wall synthesis following binding to penicillin binding proteins (PBPs), which leads to bacterial cell lysis and death1
Avibactam: The first non-β-lactam, β-lactamase inhibitor3,5
• A non β-lactam, β-lactamase inhibitor that acts by forming a covalent adduct with the enzyme that is stable to hydrolysis5
• Unlike traditional β-lactamase inhibitors, which may be hydrolysed to an inactive form, avibactam remains intact and active after release from the enzyme6,7
• This combination inhibits both Ambler Class A and Class C β-lactamases and some Class D enzymes, including extended-spectrum β-lactamases (ESBLs), KPC and OXA-48 carbapenemases, and AmpC enzymes1
• Avibactam does not inhibit Class B enzymes (metallo-β-lactamases) and is not able to inhibit many Class D enzymes1
cIAI, complicated intra-abdominal infection; cUTI, complicated urinary tract infection; ESBL, extended-spectrum β-lactamase; EUCAST, European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing, HAP, hospital-acquired pneumonia; KPC, Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase; OXA, oxacillinase; VAP, ventilator-associated pneumonia.
- ZAVICEFTA. Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Liscio JL, et al. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2015;46:266–71.
- Ehmann DE, et al. PNAS 2012;109:11663–8.
- Ceftazidime. Summary of product characteristics.
- Bush K. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2015;46:483–93.
- Ehmann DE, et al. J Biol Chem 2013;288:27960–71.
- Lahiri SD, et al. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2013:57:2496–505
Meronem IV 1g – SPC
Legal Category: POM. Basic NHS Cost: 10 vial pack £206.28
Meronem IV 500mg – SPC
Legal Category: POM. Basic NHS Cost: 10 vial pack £103.14
Tazocin 2 g/0.25 g Powder for Solution for Infusion – SPC
Legal category: POM. Basic NHS cost: 1 vial pack £7.65
Tazocin 4 g/0.5 g Powder for Solution for Infusion – SPC
Legal category: POM. Basic NHS cost: 1 vial pack £15.17
Tygacil 50 mg Powder for Solution for Infusion – SPC
Legal Category: POM. Basic NHS Cost: 10 vial pack £323.10
ZAVICEFTA® 2 g/0.5 g Powder for Concentrate for Solution for Infusion – SPC
Legal category: POM. Basic NHS price: 10 vial pack £857.00.
PP-ZVA-GBR-0628. October 2019