This site contains promotional information intended only for healthcare professionals resident in the United Kingdom
At Pfizer Oncology, we are dedicated to translating scientific breakthroughs into innovative new therapies – but we know that cancer management requires a holistic approach. In addition to manufacturing medicines, we are engaged in a number of initiatives that aim to improve the lives of those affected by cancer.
As leaders in oncology, we are committed to leveraging our world-class resources to collaborate across the healthcare ecosystem, with the shared goal of redefining life with cancer.
We are proud to engage in a number of initiatives, both in the UK and further afield, that have a meaningful impact on people’s lives.
As part of our ongoing work to share the story of the transformation in cancer care, we are proud to sponsor Cancer Revolution, an exhibition curated by the Science Museum Group with support from Cancer Research UK.1
With patients at its heart, it examines the evolutionary nature of cancer and shines a light on novel tools and treatments available that offer a new direction in oncology.1
The Breast Cancer Now Catalyst Programme is an initiative that brings together the brightest minds, the best resources, and the very latest thinking.2
Pfizer Oncology have committed around £10 million to ensuring breast cancer research can take place faster. Through this initiative, leading breast cancer researchers have unprecedented access to both our licensed and investigative drugs. There are now 24 innovative breast cancer research projects, including clinical trials, happening in the UK and across Europe.2
Together, we are enabling accelerated opportunities for breast cancer research across Europe.2
As part of the HARMONY* alliance and the Innovative Medicines Initiative’s Big Data for Better Outcomes programme, we are exploring the use of a pan-European big data platform in harnessing real-world data to create a synthetic control arm for multiple myeloma clinical trials. If successful, the initiative could speed up treatment approvals and lower trial costs in future, getting treatments to the patients who need them, quicker.3
* Healthcare Alliance for Resourceful Medicine Offensive against Neoplasms in Hematology
The COVID-19 pandemic highlighted the power of collaboration to safely speed up the development of novel therapies. At Pfizer, we are proud to be one of 10 biopharmaceutical companies that have formed the non-profit, Accumulus Synergy. This initiative is using technology to build a data-sharing platform that supports real-time exchange of information with regulators, with the goal of getting medicines to patients faster.4
Thanks to advances in care, more people than ever are surviving cancer, or living with cancer as a long-term condition.5,6 This creates a new challenge – how can we best support people and those around them to live well with, and beyond, cancer?
We commissioned leading UK think tank, Demos, to examine the social and economic impact that cancer has on people, their family and friends, and the wider UK economy. Their report, “A ‘ripple effect’ analysis of cancer’s wider impact” makes a series of policy recommendations designed to assist patients and their loved ones through all parts of their journey.7 And, at Pfizer Oncology, we are committed to doing all we can to support these recommendations.
As part of this, we are proud to be a part of a number of initiatives that showcase how digital technologies can complement therapy to address the needs of patients.
At Pfizer Oncology, we are always looking for new ways to address the challenges faced by those living with cancer. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the need for online connections became more important than ever. That’s why we launched our ByYourSide™ initiative in 2020, a digital support programme designed to help patients stay connected with loved ones whilst navigating some of the challenges that come with a cancer diagnosis. By telling the stories of real patients, we aim to inspire and encourage others who are living with cancer.8
Pfizer Oncology, in collaboration with the team at the Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff and IBM Watson, developed the world’s first ever artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled virtual assistant trained in oncology.9,10
The chatbot, named RiTTA,* allows patients access to high-quality information anytime, anywhere, to support their emotional, physical and psychological wellbeing.9
We believe this initiative highlights the remarkable potential of technology such as AI and will contribute towards its widespread adoption within healthcare.
* Realtime Information Technology Towards Activation
1. Science Museum. Cancer Revolution: Science, Innovation and Hope. Available at: https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/cancer-revolution-science-innovation-and-hope [Last accessed May 2022].
2. Breast Cancer Now. Catalyst Programme. Available at: https://breastcancernow.org/breast-cancer-research/research-projects/breast-cancer-now-catalyst-programme [Last accessed May 2022].
3. Harmony Alliance. Research Projects. MM-2: Contextualizing clinical trials by developing robust historical control arm cohort. Available at: https://www.harmony-alliance.eu/projects/research-project/mm-2-contextualizing-clinical-trials-by-developing-robust-historical-control-arm-cohort [Last accessed May 2022].
4. Pfizer press release. How 10 Biopharma Companies are Working Together to Bring Medicines to Patients Faster. Available at: https://www.pfizer.com/news/articles/how_10_biopharma_companies_are_working_together_to_bring_medicines_to_patients_faster [Last accessed: May 2022].
5. Maddams J, Utley M, Møller H. Projections of cancer prevalence in the United Kingdom, 2010-2040. Br J Cancer 2012; 107 (7):1195-202.
6. Macmillan Cancer Support. Cancer as a Long-Term Condition: Practice Nurse Pilot Evaluation, 2013. Available at: Cancer as a Long Term Condition Full Evaluation Report FINAL2 (macmillan.org.uk) [Last accessed May 2022].
7. Demos. Cancer Costs. A ‘ripple effect’ analysis of cancer’s wider impact. Available at: Cancer-Costs-FINAL-Jan-2020.pdf (demos.co.uk) [Last accessed May 2022].
8. Pfizer press release. ByYourSideTM app and website launched to help cancer patients in need. June 2020. Available at: https://www.pfizer.co.uk/news-and-featured-stories/byyourside-app-and-website-launched-to-help-cancer-patients-in-need [Last accessed May 2022].
9. New Statesman. Artificial intelligence meets emotional intelligence. September 2021. Available at:
https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/2020/01/artificial-intelligence-meets-emotional-intelligence [Last accessed May 2022].
10. Digital Health Wales. Chatbots. Available at: https://digitalhealth.wales/aag/catalogue/chatbots [Last accessed May 2022].
Adverse events should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search
for MHRA Yellow Card in Google Play or Apple App Store
Adverse events should also be reported to Pfizer Medical Information on 01304 616161
To access further materials, resources and receive communication about medicines and vaccines promoted by Pfizer.
This site is intended only for healthcare professionals resident in the United Kingdom. If you are a member of the public wishing to access information on a specific medicine, please visit www.medicines.org.uk/emc
This website is brought to you by Pfizer Limited, a company registered in England
and Wales under No. 526209 with its registered office at Ramsgate Road, Sandwich, Kent, CT13 9NJ
Copyright © 2021 Pfizer Limited. All rights reserved.
VAT registration number GB201048427
These pages are not intended for patients or for members of the general public. The healthcare professional web pages contain promotional content.
I confirm that I am a healthcare professional* resident in the United Kingdom.
If you select 'No', you will be redirected to Pfizer.co.uk where you will be able to access reference information on Pfizer's prescription medicines.
*The ABPI Code definition for healthcare professional is members of the medical, dental, pharmacy and nursing professionals and any other persons who in the course of their professional activities may administer, prescribe, purchase, recommend or supply a medicine.
PP-PFE-GBR-3863. November 2021
Add indication message here. It can link a link,
and you can EMBOLDEN text
OK, We will need you to sign in before we can determine if you are aligned with a Pﬁzer promotional colleague.
If you have already registered with pfizerpro.co.uk and select ‘yes’, you will be directed to the sign-in page where you will be required to enter your username and password.
Would you like to register or sign in now?